Saturday, October 3, 2026

Dear Rich

 So, it has been just over a year now and sometimes I wonder how you would like/dislike the changes I've done around here.

The old busted up eyesore of the garage that we often discussed is gone. I mean. Gone, no trace. And yup I had to spend some $$ to clean things up. I think you would think it looks great. Remember when the insurance company gave you money for the damaged garage? You put it in a savings account for 'later'. Well, it sat in an account getting interest for 14 years. I used a part of that to clean up the garage. 

I now have a nice concrete pad to look at. Beyond that, the forest. So much prettier than a semi demolished building.

Your mom's car became a Demo Derby Car. It was painted shiny black and reinforced. I can only imagine your mom giggling over her car blasting around in a field and the glee she would have had driving it like a maniac. After all, she did that in real life didn't she?

Your skid steer went to a good home. Frank bought it and is super pleased with it. He knows mechanics and I don't. 

Uh oh. I adopted a puppy in March. Her name is Hannah and she is the goofiest Terrier mix I've ever seen. She is sweet, adorable, personable, a pain, and very loving, terribly loyal and not too brave. However, you'd really get a kick out of how she hunts bugs. Tonight she brought a grasshopper into the house and played with it. Gross.


You would love her because she is so unique and weird just like me. It took Charlie from March to September to decide that Hannah was okay to snuggle with at night. I swear, he is still looking for you. I took one of your old insulated flannels to wear for chores yesterday and it smelled like you. When I tossed it on the couch, he instantly claimed it and made a bed out of it.


The one section of forest where you had your old deer stand was forest mulched this spring. It wasn't pricey but it sure improved that area. I made it a campground. You would love it. I often think of you while sitting there and having a campfire at night with Charlie and Hannah. 

I've learned to set up a tent! 

I love camping in the rough. It is a bit different than the nights we spent sleeping in the back of your truck or the camper you had on the truck. But it is like you often said: It is all about the adventure of it. 

Because of you, I am not afraid of the forest/woods day or night. I learned so much from you as your dog handler when farmers would ask us to bring our hounds to their places to hunt raccoon who were destroying their crops. You gave me 'forest' smarts, you gave me knowledge, you showed me the gift of becoming an outdoors person.

You encouraged me always to make my own way and not to fear learning new things. I will always be grateful for that.


It's quiet here. I don't often watch the 'boob' tube, but I am rewatching some of the shows we used to watch together. 

I painted all the old chairs I collected over the years. I know you thought I was nuts for wanting to paint them, but they brighten the inside of our home.

Tom, the UPS driver, stopped in for a chat yesterday and commented on how he missed coming to our house to deliver your meds. We had a good laugh over how you called him 'your drug dealer'. He is doing well. I told him that I was taking a tiny bit of your ashes everywhere I went and IF I found an incredible place that I know you would have loved...I'd spread a bit of you. He thought that was the coolest idea he'd ever heard.

Hey maybe we will get to Hawaii one of these times! 

I'm still crazy over photography, mules, riding, Legos, and hiking. But that wouldn't surprise you at all.

I get down in the dumps once in a while, but that is good. I miss you like crazy and that is good. I have sad moments that hit me like a ton of bricks. And that is good.

But I also feel your presence almost all of the time. 

And that my dear, is excellent.


No comments:

Post a Comment