Sunday, September 27, 2026

Dark.

I've been pretty much OK for most of the summer. But now we are entering the dark period. 


I have no desire to decorate for Halloween or for Fall. I don't care. It gets dark. 

Dark.

I did decorate last year and then took it all down before Halloween. I won't try to be normal this year and do that. If I don't feel like doing decorations, I won't. Christmas Decorations are still up in the air and I'm not thinking that far in advance.

The days are shorter and dark comes too early. I don't feel like wandering about at night right now. I intend to do something productive after supper but I find myself going to sit on the loveseat and eventually turn something on to keep me occupied.

I won't lie. Darkness brings loneliness. Although I have to admit, I don't feel lonely if we are out in the woods camping. Now that just sounds silly.

If anything. I am more isolated in our forest than in the house. But there are no electronics [yes, I have my phone in case of emergency]. I have a campfire which in itself feels more comforting than any smart tv or blabbering of some stupid show. I can turn on my book light and read when we retire into the tent.

It feels less.

Lonely.

Maybe because I am watching the moon while sitting on a stump of wood, or listening to the coyotes sing in the distance or hear a deer whistle not far off. 

Other nights though are sort of bleh. In the house I feel painfully aware of how alone I feel. Even when Rich wasn't too active, we'd sit on the couch together and I'd find something he liked to watch while I read a book and pet Charlie.

I had him next to me, his presence was there along with the noise of his concentrator.

Now?

It is dead silence. I need to fill the silence with music or blathering on the TV. The dogs are a comfort, they cuddle and sometimes Charlie snores. They are bodies next to mine. But they are not him.






4 comments:

  1. Dark outside and in too, eh?
    There will be just enough light.
    You will make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some nights are the pits, but yeah, I'll do it one day at a time.

      Delete
  2. That sounds so rough, I'm sorry about the dark. I love the dark, but I couldn't live without the light either.
    I hope it gets better for you *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the dark also for photographing the Milky Way and looking at the stars.
      I do get melancholy every once in a while. Especially now that I am getting past the first year of his death. I miss him, but am adjusting to my very different situation.

      Delete