Thursday, July 26, 2018

The Heart Brain connection

For all of the time I've known Rich, he has struggled with depression. 

Yesterday I was talking to a nurse from cardiology who wanted to discuss the Holter Heart Monitor versus the Medtronics Loop Implant that Rich had.
His stress test had come up with some 'abnormalities' and so his PCP had ordered a Holter Monitor for him.
The Medtronics Implant recording any A-fib incidents. This could have been the causes of his stroke and TIA's.

The Holter would look for PVC's or Premature Ventricular Contractions. 
I told the nurse that he'd worn one in 2015 and the last echo was done either then or in 2012 when he was having so many problems with his anti depressants medications.

She confirmed that he had PVC's in 2015 and also an echo done then. She had seen that they had been done previously also.

I hung up the phone after our discussion. Rich would get the monitor and they'd try and figure out how often he had PVC's.  I did a bit of research as a pattern started to form in the back of my head.

Every time Rich's anti depressants stopped working for him, he had more fatigue, dizziness, and had been pointed in the direction of cardiologists who did tests added meds because his blood pressure would fluctuate wildly,...did more tests, and generally could not figure out what the issue was.

What happens to the body during a period of severe depression?
Any stress or anxiety sends the blood pressure through the roof, causes heart flutters, dizziness, and sometimes confusion.
The brain is the master of the body organs. When the brain cannot function properly the heart and other organs cannot function properly.

Every single time 1998, 2002, 2012, and now 2018 there has been a pattern. The doctors of the physical being don't connect with the mental health doctors and vise versa. 

Rich's statement, "I can't do anything, I feel weak, a bit dizzy, and feel like I will tip over."

When the depression meds slow down and stop working the anxiety builds. It is slow and insidious. 

Put it all together and the pattern works.

I will say that the VA facility we go to have excellent doctors. Some of the very best! However.
Most of the PCP docs and the psychiatric or psychologists rotate out of the VA every few years. There are no doctors that have been through even one full cycle of depression recovery and the pitfalls with Rich. 

I've been there since 1996 and have seen a pattern develop over the years.

We fight the heart, dizziness, fatigue, mental stress issue with the physical doctors. Nothing seems to work as he declines.

The mental health doctors talk and try to adjust the current mental health medications.

Rich spirals downward until there is a crisis. 
Rich is admitted through the ER.
Rich's 'team' changes his meds and monitor him.

Rich is discharged to home. Much better and out of that dark place. 
We all feel relieved.

We skate on a fine line holding off that dark place of depression for a while until it slowly creeps up again and takes hold.
The cycle starts again.

There is a heart - brain connection. It is there.


Look at the studies regarding dementia and strokes. There are studies also that research depression and its physical manifestations.
Treat only the physical symptoms and the mental issues do not go away.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need an overseer or a doctor that follows his case from beginning to now.
    Keep a record in short form so they can see the pattern that you are seeing. Make them read it so they can help. Don't take no for an answer or even maybe.
    I agree depression definitely has physical symptoms.
    As do physical conditions have mental symptoms. And not every person nor case is the same.
    Forgive me, I am not an expert nor anything close to it, and I am reading this backwards from today to the beginning.
    Nothing I say is anything but my opinion.Just thinking aloud mainly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His PCP at the VA knows all of this and I just read it in her notes from our last visit in 2018.
      Not noted in here are the times I've marched into his one psychiatrist's office and gave two doctors a piece of my mind.

      I was once offered a position as a patient advocate by the VA because I don't quit.

      Delete