Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Testing, testing...

Monday morning was a stress test. Working with a person who has severe depression is and can be very frustrating.

I got him up early so I could get him to take a shower.
"I can't, I have to lay down."
This is where it gets frustrating.
I put my hands on my hips and feel the anger grow. I get a bit snarky, "So why do you need to lay down? Are you dizzy, tired, out of breath..." I take his 02 levels and they are fine.
In my mind that says it is the depression talking. He needs to move, he needs to keep moving.
So I become the bad guy. "Your 02 levels are fine, your blood pressure is good. Do you need me to get the shower chair and help you? Are you dizzy, why do you need to lay down."

I can't help myself here. I am trying to get him ready for a doctor's appointment. I tried all day yesterday to get him to shower and he was too tired. Yet he could watch the streaming on the small flat screen TV for 3 hrs.

He gets angry with me, gives me the look, and goes to lay down. I stand in the bedroom door and fume. I look at the clock, he needs to shower.

That is how the mornings go with appointments at the VA. Nudge, push, push, nudge, frustration and stress at just making the appointment on time in Madison which is 89 miles away.

The stress test came back 'abnormal'. That is all the tech would say. Cardiology called yesterday morning and scheduled an echocardiogram. I wonder how abnormal is really was if the echo is scheduled nearly a month away.

As is our normal routine when not rushing to get ready for an appointment, I left hay out for Rich to feed Bob and Thor. I reminded him that I had an appointment with the manager for his mother's apartment lease.
I contacted the attorney who will be her guardian to get some guidance and told him that I'd bring him lunch back from The Corners Restaurant.

When I returned home, he had his boots on, but was sleeping. I woke him up.
I gave him his burger and fries and then asked how feeding the donkeys went.

"I was too tired," came the answer.

I was quiet for a bit while I made copies of the POA paperwork and arranged some papers for him to sign regarding his mother's paperwork for elderly housing. The lease would not have to be signed until she had the new guardian in effect. That was a huge relief.

Finally I said, "Oh. Okay. I guess that is why they brayed when I drove in. They are hungry."
I got a nasty look and he sighed. "I better go feed them since somebody wants to play psychiatrist and tell me what to do."

I stack my copies of paperwork and shrug.
He stops at the door, "Is it hot out?"
Snarky remarks want to fly past my lips...but I press them closed and then say, "Well it isn't too bad."

He feeds the donkeys and comes in with a huge sigh. "There, don't I look cured! Don't I feel awesome? Don't I want to just run up and down and be fine? Oh look I am all better!"

Picture these words with aphasia and it actually is more drawn out and difficult. But I get the jist. He is angry at being made to move against his will. He wants to just go to bed, which he does for the rest of the afternoon.

I gather up items to go to the forest and go fencing. In my back pack I throw some toys. I won't have time for it,....but you never know.

We ... he argues with me again later after I draw out a map of how I am fencing. I tell him to get on the 4 wheeler and I'll show him.
"Quit trying to be the stupid doctor, I just need meds to make my head better. If my head is better I'll be better. Just stop it."

I let him blurt it all out and listen. I want to say to him that since he has gone out to feed the donkeys daily he has improved. He has anger which is better than two weeks ago when he had no emotion. He takes it out on me of course and I sit there and want to point out the good things that are small baby steps. He won't hear any of it.

I finally tell him that I'm going out to the garden. I leave and am there until nearly dusk.
Surprisingly he does come out of the house and onto the porch. He pulls up a chair and we are friends again as we quietly snap green beans.

Oh yes.
I did have a moment or two for some silliness.
And it makes me laugh.

Toys given to me by neighbors and other kids....
why not? We all need to smile and laugh.


Testing? He tests my patience. It is a good thing I have a LOT of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment