Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Moral Injury or Tortured Soul?

Our visit with the Palliative Care Doctor was in my mind a huge success. Dr. Eskola and the Social Worker, Sarah were very receptive and understanding.


In the past 10 years there is a new thought process...well not new to any Combat Veteran [they know this, yet DO not know this] a newer exploration of PTSD combined with what is called Moral Injury. You can read about it here at Moral Injury-the VA's extensive write up.

The DAV also has an explanation part of what I will copy and paste below.

Symptoms:

Persistent Negative Emotions – Veterans who experience moral injury can be overwhelmed by negative feelings. Feelings of guilt, shame, remorse from past acts that violated their code of morals. Often times they feel disinterest in previously enjoyable activities, or genuinely find it hard to feel happy. A veteran may feel like they can’t trust anyone, because they have seen how dangerous the world is or feel emotionally numb.

Reliving the event – Awake or asleep, a trigger can cause painful memories to surface and make the sufferer feel as though they are experiencing the event demoralizing event all over again.

Avoidance – Veterans will often avoid situations that remind them of the event. For example, many veterans avoid crowded places, because they learned overseas that crowds were targets and being in a crowd made you a target. Some veterans will even avoid talking about the incident that affects them.

Trust Issues – Veterans feel like they have lost the ability to trust others and question whether every decision is right. Often veterans will withdraw themselves from society as if they feel like they do not fit in with society’s fabric.

Drug/Alcohol Abuse – Some veterans may turn to drugs and alcohol when faced with moral issues and dilemmas that linger in their past. They see the drugs and alcohol as a way out from facing the moral guilt built from war or past trauma.


Aside from the health issues my husband has had, he has Chronic life long PTSD. I've written about his severe depression before so I won't go over that again. 

The Social Worker asked if Rich understood what Moral Injury was and he looked confused. She explained it to him and he still looked a bit confused.

I asked if I could help explain it. Sarah game me the nod.

I reached over and asked Rich where it hurt. 

Everywhere, I hurt all of the time. It hurts to think, to breath, to exist. [Not an exact quote because he has aphasia and word finding difficulties]

I touch his chest, his arm, the side of his head and ask him if it hurts so bad internally that it is unbearable.

Yes, it is unbearable inside my head inside my ... his hand flutters to motion to his chest and body.

Me: What if that pain is because it hurts all of the time because of what you did while you were in Vietnam? You once told me that what you were made to do when against everything you were taught about being a good person? Does that sound like the pain you are having?

He nods and tears begin to flow. He gasps and sighs and drops his head. He mumbles that he is not worthy.

Sarah nods at me and we continue. 

She asks if he will see a Chaplain, if he is open to trying something different to ease his emotional and physical pain.

He is not sure. However, I ask him what does he have to lose? Why not?


He asks Dr. Eskola if he can't just get pain meds to make it go away?

She comforts him by saying her team will address all of his physical and medical issues as well as help him all they can with his mental health issues. She has seen his extremely long medical record regarding the past struggles all the way back to his first VA visit.

By now he is an emotional train wreck. My heart aches and I feel the pain coming off from him in waves. Seriously...I do. This guy and I have been 'soulmates' for 26 years. 

Our time is up and we make a second appointment to come back. We get in the car and he says he feels tired. I ask him to try this thing, to try and ease some of his guilt. 

He has a hard time wrapping his mind around it.

It sounds like Hocus Pocus and he has lived with this pain so long that it is a part of who he is. 

He owns his guilt. If he were to let go of it, would it make what he did okay? Would that make him a different person?

What we know is that we cannot cure his medical illnesses. That is why we turned to Palliative Care. It is for those with diseases that cannot be cured. However, if one can be more comfortable as they head towards the end of their life, why can't they also set things right with the world?

I ask Why Not?

Why not calm the tortured soul within to be able to find a bit of peace?

Rich received his D.N.R. bracelet. The permanent one will come soon in the mail. This bracelet is an advanced directive signed by his doctor that will notify EMT/Paramedics and ER doctors and hospital staff that he has a standing Do Not Resuscitate order. If the heart stops, let it stop.


3 comments:

  1. Prayers and hugs for both of you in this difficult situation. I am glad you have found helpful people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to read but do understand the hurt. My father was in the Battle of the Bulge and he never ever recovered from it. He had no treatment and my mother was of more harm to him that any consoling help. My father would talk about it daily if he could but no one to listen. As an adult I understood more of his hurt and his innocence of being a farm boy going into war that he couldn't forget. He relived a lot of it and I did understand more why some of his spells happened unannounced. Again, my mom made things so difficult for him. I am glad there is help and that talking and understanding will heal.

    ReplyDelete