Saturday, January 6, 2018

Finding Resources

ADRC, we are pretty lucky to have ADRC in our state. I'm not sure this organization is in all 50 states or not. However there is a very simple and helpful site on the internet called Eldercare Locator. Simply type in your zip code and a list pops up on the next screen with what is available in your area.

I had a very good meeting with Tricia from ADRC. Finding help or a support group for caregiver is daunting. When Rich had cancer the Madison VA offered a support group.... the drive would have been two hours one way for a caregiver's meeting and 'workshop'. Um.
Nope, that doesn't work.
Gunderson Lutheran in LaCrosse offers a once a month meeting for Stroke CareGivers. One hour drive.
Nope, that doesn't work.
The Tomah VA offers a once a month meeting for CareGivers to Veterans. Hour and a half travel time one way.
Nope, that doesn't work.


Tricia commented that they have a support group for CareGivers for Dementia and Alzheimer's patients. This may be a good fit as Rich has trouble with communication and memory too. I said I'd go. After all, meeting with other people who are going through similar situations can only be a plus for me. Besides that, it is 20 minutes from home and I get to see other people.

I know, that sounds awful doesn't it?
I've convinced Rich that we'd even try the Memory Cafe in February.

We quickly moved into other areas of concern. Tricia made a phone call to the VSO [Veterans Service Officer] downstairs and she came up. We went over some of the things offered by the VA.

My other concern was trying to get some assistance or help for my reluctant Mother in Law. She has declined in health and in her ability to do things for herself.
I'm having a tough enough time getting everything taken care of in my own place, let alone trying to take care of her and her place too. She has a once a month housekeeper. That is just not cutting it at all. Her little apartment was filled with trash on Christmas Eve along with mounds of dirty dishes. She just said she couldn't take the trash out and just didn't feel like picking up.

Anyway, there is a stipend that we can get through the VA to assist us in helping Mom. Interesting.
She could get help from the state and county if her assets were two thousand or less.
However, we can get some assistance through the VA because we are assisting Mom. Okay, it sounds weird, but it would allow me to hire a certified Home and Personal Care Helper ... well something like a once a week in home helper that could do light housekeeping, assist with running errands, shopping, and at some point personal hygiene. The average price for hiring someone like this is about $19 to $25 per hour. I cannot afford that for her on my own so this is an alternate choice.

It is cheaper to help an elderly person stay in their home and help them, than it is to transfer them to a care facility.
I know we had approached Mom to get in touch with ADRC more than once and she said no.
Now we have to tell her that WE will get her the help. I hope she takes it.
Yesterday I got called out of the blue with an urgent..."I need my pain prescription!" I ran to town and picked up the script and delivered it. I couldn't stay as I had to get back for evening chores and for Rich.

A quick glance around the apartment told me that she hadn't changed or made her bed in a long time. Her hair was matted and she basically looked pretty gnarly. She told me that her legs had swelled again so tight that she couldn't hardly get out of her chair.

We will be going to her apartment today or tomorrow and presenting her with the option of some help.
I can't knowingly let her live like this. Yet I can't watch over Rich and take care of her also...

Anyway.
I spent the next 2 hours with Cyrstal from the VSO office. We put some paperwork together for Rich filing also for Agent Orange. There will be no money for that, just getting his record updated to include his AO contamination.
Apparently the VA is accrediting COPD and lung issues along with a huge variety of cancers to AO. Good to have those on record now and not later.

The last bit of work I have to do is file to be Rich's official CareGiver. I will be taking a class through the VA but provided through the county office. This last filing if approved [lots of paperwork and a doctor visit] would assist us and 'pay' me to take care of Rich.
Are you ready for the huge amount?
Nearly $30 per week!

I will not complain. It may help out with groceries right? However the bigger bonus will be that I will qualify for respite care which I anticipate needing in the future. IF I don't take care of me, no one will take care of him.

So I am leaving anyone who reads this with a few thoughts.

Don't wait until it is too late if you have an elderly person in your life. See if you can sit them down and talk to them.
Do your research now.
Because ... tomorrow ... or in a few years, we will be that elderly person who will need these resources.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Val, I see where if you became Rich's caretaker official you would be eligible for RESPITE CARE???? What happened there? Are you his official caretaker now AUGUST 2021.
    Maybe check that out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I answered that question here:
      https://journeysthroughcancer.blogspot.com/2021/04/you-gotta-love-mdd.html

      Delete